Recently in Palo Cedro, a dirt bike accident occurred that killed one teenager and seriously injured another teenager. The California Highway Patrol reports that at the time the accident occurred the two teens were riding dirt bikes on private property located between Old Highway 44 and Stillwater. Due to reasons that are still undetermined, the two teenagers collided on their vehicles. Law enforcement has reported that both teenagers were wearing protective gear at the time of the accident. Additionally, law enforcement does not believe that alcohol or drugs played a contributing role in the accident.
This event is an example of just one of the many dirt bike accidents that occur each year. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that several thousand dirt bike riders below the age of 19 are treated in emergency room for nonfatal injuries. Additionally, over a dozen dirt bike riders die due to accidents like this one that occurred in Palo Cedro each year.
The Causes of Dirt Bike Accidents
There are many reasons why dirt bike accidents occur in the state of California each year. While some of these accidents are caused due to the negligence of the dirt bike rider, the cause of other accidents are simply beyond the driver’s control.
Some of the reasons why dirt bike accidents occur include the following:
- Adverse weather conditions.
- Dirt bike riders who use their bikes under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Dirt bike riders who operate their bikes too aggressively.
- Distracted dirt bike riders.
- Excessive speeding by dirt bike riders.
- Failure by dirt bike riders to yield to the right of way.
- Inadequate vision due to lack of light.
Safety Tips for Dirt Bike Riders
There are some important safety rules that should be followed by all dirt bike riders, which include the following:
- Always wear a helmet. Preferably, the helmet was created in compliance with regulations created by the United States Department of Transportation.
- Maintain a safe distance from other vehicles including other dirt bikes.
- Pay attention whenever operating a dirt bike because many accidents are caused by distracted drivers.
- Wear proper safety clothing which should include close-toed shoes, goggles, gloves, heavy long sleeved shirts, long pants, and protective eye goggles.
Speak to Sanford A. Kassel Today About Your Dirt Bike Accident
Many dirt bike riders fail to consider just how serious accidents can be. Accident victims frequently find themselves overwhelmed by the seriousness of injuries or fatalities that arise from dirt bike accidents. Many accident victims find themselves facing large medical bills and many other complications that make daily living difficult. Fortunately, if another party is responsible for the accident, there might be the possibility of obtaining compensation for your accident.
Our legal counsel has the knowledge necessary to help analyze exactly how your dirt bike accident occurred and determine the various legal strategies that exist to pursue the compensation you deserve. From the initial phone call, clients understand that our attorneys know just how devastating dirt bike accidents can be. Our lawyers also remain committed throughout your legal journey to fighting for the compensation that you deserve. Call our law office today.